- You are running an upgrade using the Software Update Manager (SUM) and you see the following error:
<date and time> [Error ]: Instance <$$> on host <server name> cannot have status RUNNING and IN_PROGRESS at the same time.
<date and time> [Error ]: The method getSystemInstanceListreturned more than one entry for the instance with number <$$> on host<server name> and the two entries have different states.
<date and time> [Error ]: The following problem has occurred during step execution:
com.sap.sdt.tools.sysinfo.InstanceDetectorException: The update tool
was unable to connect to the SAPControl web service on any of the
detected instance numbers. Check that the SAP Start Services are
running for all instances in the cluster. See SAP Note 1401712 for
Error while gathering information for all cluster instances from the
instance with number <$$> on host <server name> using the SAPControl web
service API. For more information, see SAP Note 1401712.
The method getSystemInstanceList returned more than one entry for the
instance with number <$$> on host <server name> and the two entries have
- <date and time> refers to the timestamp when the error occurred;
- <$$> stands for the number of the affected instance;
- <server name> is the hostname of the server where the instance is running;
- The status "RUNING" and "IN_PROGRESS" may vary (e.g., they could be "RUNNING" and "STOPPED", or other combinations).
- You are running an upgrade using SUM and see the following error in the phase PREP_EXTRACT/BEGIN_PRE
Severe error(s) occurred in phase PREP_EXTRACT/BEGIN_PRE!
Last error code set:
SYSTEM MANAGER: duplicate type 'CI_YES' found at instance list. Trouble Ticket Generation
A trouble ticket and an archive with all relevant log files have been generated.
Trouble ticket: "/usr/sap/<SID>/SUM/abap/log/SAPup_troubleticket.log"
Log archive: "/usr/sap/<SID>/SUM/abap/log/SAPup_troubleticket_logs.sar"
Repeat phase PREP_EXTRACT/BEGIN_PRE to continue at the point it stopped
- When you check the output of the log file SAPCONTROL_INSTANCELIST.OUT, you notice that each instance has two entries, one with status Green and one with Gray
EXECUTING /usr/sap/<SID>/SYS/exe/run/sapcontrol -prot NI_HTTP -host <server name> -nr <$$> -function GetSystemInstanceList
<date and time>
hostname, instanceNr, httpPort, httpsPort, startPriority, features, dispstatus
<server name>,<$$>, 51013, 0, 0, 3, ABAP|GATEWAY|ICMAN|IGS, GRAY
<server name>,<$$>, 51013, 0, 0, 3, ABAP|GATEWAY|ICMAN|IGS, GREEN
<server name>,<$$>, 51013, 0, 0.5, ENQREP, GRAY
<server name>,<$$>, 51013, 0, 0.5, ENQREP, GREEN
<server name>,<$$>, 51013, 0, 0, 1, MESSAGESERVER|ENQUE, GRAY
<server name>,<$$>, 51013, 0, 0, 1, MESSAGESERVER|ENQUE, GREEN
- Product independent
- Client/Server Technology – Startup Service
SAP NetWeaver all versions
Stopped, Stuck, Issue, Support pack, Support packages, Duplicate, Duplicated, KBA , BC-CST-STS , Startup Service , BC-UPG-ADDON , Upgrade Add-On Components , BC-UPG-TLS-TLA , Upgrade tools for ABAP , BC-UPG-OCS , Online Corr. Support (Tools:Supp.-Pack., Addon Install/Upgr) , BC-UPG , Upgrade - general , BC-UPG-OCS-SPA , Support package tools for ABAP , BC-UPG-TLS-TLJ , Upgrade tools for Java , BC-UPG-OCS-ZDM , Near Zero Downtime Maintenance , Problem
About this pageThis is a preview of a SAP Knowledge Base Article. Click more to access the full version on SAP ONE Support launchpad (Login required).
Search for additional results
Visit SAP Support Portal's SAP Notes and KBA Search.