- Filter does not work.
- Report created in Crystal Reports for Enterprise or Dashboard off an SAP BW BEx Query does not filter the data based on BEx Query variable value entered.
- Restrictions added to the Default Values of a BEx Query are ignored in Crystal Reports, Crystal Reports for Enterprise and Dashboard.
- When reporting off the same SAP BW BEx Query in BEx Analyzer, it does filter the data based on the value entered in the variable.
- Note: Images and data in this SAP Knowledge Base Article is from SAP internal systems, sample data, or demo systems. Any resemblance to real data is purely coincidental.
- SAP Crystal Reports for Enterprise 4.1
- SAP Crystal Reports for Enterprise 4.2
- SAP Crystal Reports for Enterprise 4.3
- SAP Crystal Reports 2013
- SAP Crystal Reports 2016
- SAP Crystal Reports 2020
Reproducing the Issue
- Create a report in Crystal Reports for Enterprise or Dashboards based off an SAP BW BEx Query with at least one variable to filter the data.
- Refresh the report or Dashboard, and enter a value in the parameter / variable.
- Notice the report does not filter the data based on the value entered in the variable / parameter.
- The SAP BW BEx Query variable filter was defined in the Default Values section in the BEx Query Designer.
- Defining a variable in the Default Value section of a BEx Query, does not to filter the data, but it actually brings back all the data in BEx Analyzer, and filter the intial view of the data based the value selected in the variable. This enable the user to change the filter value without hitting the SAP BW Cube again, as all the data is brought back to BEx Analyzer. And this is why a variable defined under the Default Value Filter, does not filter any data in Crystal Reports for Enterprise or Dashboard because the BEx Query actually returns all the data, and also because those tools does not have the concept of intial view like in BEx Analyzer.
- Products that use Query Panel like: Crystal Reports for Enterprise, Dashboards or Web Intelligence, do not support the Default values filters, since there is no concept of intial view, but other products that do not use Query Panel like: Analysis OLAP, Analysis for Office, and BEx Analyzer does support Default Values filtering for the initial view.
- To filter the data based on the value entered in the BEx Query Variable, modify the SAP BW BEx Query in the BEx Query Designer and move the variable from the "Default Value" section to the "Characteristic Restrictions" section. To do so, follow the general steps below:
- Open the SAP BW BEx Query in the BEx Query Designer version 7.x
- In the SAP BW BEx Query Designer, move the variable from the "Default Values" section to the "Characteristic Restrictions" section.
- Save the SAP BW BEx Query.
- 1869560 - SAP BusinessObjects BI Support Matrix for SAP NetWeaver BW
CR4E, CR4Ent, CRFE, CR for Enterprise, filters, filtered, all, data, BEX, query, filter, default, values, not, applied, apply, , KBA , BI-RA-CR , Crystal Reports designer or Business View Manager , Problem
SAP Crystal Reports 2013 ; SAP Crystal Reports 2016 ; SAP Crystal Reports 2020