Any number of the following symptoms may occur:
- After an installation completes you are not able to launch various applications as they fail with:
"The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the comm-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail"
This can affect:
- Universe Design Tool (UDT) - designer.exe
- Crystal Reports 2011 - CRW32.exe
- Information Platform Services - InstallIPS.exe
- Central Configuration Manager (CCM) - SvcMgr.exe
- Central Management Server (CMS) - CMS.exe
- During the installation of BI4.x a popup message occurs during "updating system landscape directory":
"ActionAgentProc.exe has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Please close the program"
- The Windows Application Event Log will report the following (similar message):
Description: Activation context generation failed for "c:\Program Files (x86)\Business Objects\BusinessObjects Enterprise 12.0\win32_x86\designer.exe". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.CRT, processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50727.4053" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.
- In the CCM, Services may fail to start:
ConnectionServer and ConnectionServer32 show as "Initializing"
Crystal Reports Cache, Processing Servers, Dashboard Cache and Processing Servers show "Running with Errors" or "Failed statuses. The Failed status displays:
"The executable could not be launched. Possible reasons are insufficient RAM or disk space, or an invalid filepath or working directory. Actual reason: CreateProcess error=14001, The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail"
- SAP BusinessIntelligence Platform BI 4.0
- SAP BusinessIntelligence Platform BI 4.1
- SAP BusinessIntelligence Platform BI 4.2
- Various Client Tools
- All Supported Microsoft Windows Operating system versions
Master KBA, installer, installation, upgrade, side-by-side, sidebyside, logon failed, FWM23026, FWM 23026, Event ID 33, VC++, Visual C++ Runtime, MFC, Microsoft.VC80.CRT, sxstrace.exe, Activation context generation failed, biinst, emkba, mkba , KBA , biinst , emkba , mkba , bi40 , bi_bt , BI-BIP-INS , Installation, Updates, Upgrade, Patching , Problem
About this pageThis is a preview of a SAP Knowledge Base Article. Click more to access the full version on SAP for Me (Login required).
Search for additional results
Visit SAP Support Portal's SAP Notes and KBA Search.