- Can I transfer forms to a new user?
- How do I move all the information to a new user account?
SAP SuccessFactors HXM Suite
In the SuccessFactors system USERID is the primary key for the master table that defines each user. As in most employee databases, changing this primary key is not possible without risking disruption of functionality throughout the system.
The following guide describes how you can manually transfer data for one user from the old USERID to their new USERID.
Note: This is NOT a USERID conversion guide!
Factors to be Aware of When Transferring User Data
The following limitations have been identified.
- SuccessFactors in general does not recommend a USERID Conversion. It is preferred to simply import new USERID's, and disable old IDs. This document provides information on how to facilitate that move for just ONE user at a time.
- We offer no automated data validation.
- We do not provide an undo feature so the client must backup any data exports before re-importing data, which may overwrite existing data.
- In general forms and data are never deleted, although it may appear lost if it becomes disconnected from the correct user ID due to a failed transfer, or you use the delete documents of inactive users option on user imports.
- Custom reporting and system permissions set for users in the system cannot be copied. The client administrator will need to manually establish permissions for the new USERID's.
- The client may need to communicate any new password for new user ID. [or have user reestablish their own]
- All work should be completed by the client. SuccessFactors support staff will not be responsible for the exporting and re-importing of client data.
How to Transfer Data from UserOLD to UserNEW
Note: The following steps should only be used as a guideline, and should be adapted depending on your specific needs.
- Create backup files of all available exports
- Export user directory via Admin Tools and save to desktop [EXPORT_ORIGINAL.csv]
- Export Goal Data from Reports -> Goal Search
- Export Detailed Document Search report for all users and forms that you later want to launch new forms for [USERDOCS.csv]
- Export Live Profile data via Admin Tools
- Personal Information [PersonalInfoData_xxx.csv]
- Background Information [BackgroundData_xxx.csv]
- Trend data [TrendData_xxx.csv]
- Note: It is recommended that you do not create the above backup files until the day before, or as close to the day, that the change will be executed so that data integrity is kept. Immediately after generating your export files you may want to remove the affected employees (or everyone) from the systems "default user group" [in admin tools]. This effectively locks these users out and prevents them from logging in. This will prevent users from entering new data that has not been captured in your exports and reports.
- Make copy of EXPORT_ORIGINAL.csv for OLD ID and save as [IMPORT_OLD.csv]
- Identify current user to change in IMPORT_OLD.csv. This may include users where their personal userid is NOT changing, but maybe their manager's id is.
- Modify 'USERNAME' field by appending '_OLD' to user account record.
- For example, UserName "JDoe" becomes "JDoe_OLD", or 000123 becomes 000123_OLD
- Doing this allows you to later reimport the new USERID, with the original username, otherwise you will get an error the username already exists since it is still associated with the original ID.
- If your usernames are also changing, then this step is not required.
- Make another copy of EXPORT_ORIGINAL.csv for NEW ID and save as [IMPORT_NEW.csv]
- In this new file have the NEW USERID and the ORIGINAL [old] username.
- Also in this file change MANAGER & HR Id columns making sure all users reflect any new USERID that will apply to them.
- Set Up PROXY Rights to Allow Copying of Data by Users
- Setup proxies as needed if you will be proxying as both old and new users.
- Make a copy of PersonalInfoData_xxx.csv and rename it PersonalInfoData_NEW.csv
- In this new copy change all USERID's to the new user ID
- This file by default will replace ALL existing data, so be aware you need to import a full file. Any data not in your import file is effectively deleted.
- Do the same for both trendInfoData and background info files.
- Unlike the personal Info file, you can either ADD to existing data, or Overwrite Existing Data
- Consider if you want to delete data for old ID > import file with just new ID, selecting Overwrite Existing Data.
- To keep historical data import just a partial file with New ID and don't Overwrite Existing Data, or import a full file with both old and new user ID while choosing Overwrite Existing Data.
- Goal Imports
- Determine whether goals will be transferred to the new accounts.
- Administrators can transfer goals one employee at a time using the goal transfer wizard. As a means of lightening the load, managers or distributed administrators could be given administrative Goal Transfer permission.
- Once goals are transferred they will not exist in the old account. If you want to keep goals with the old USERID, Goals can be downloaded using the Goal Search and then used to create a goal import file. For information see the Goal Import Guide.
- For the Goal Search export file, create a new copy and save as [GoalImports.csv].
- Format the file into the format that is required for an import. This is a function the client performs from admin tools. SuccessFactors can provide support to validate file FORMAT, but we cannot validate actual data as we do not necessarily know what the data should be.
- Save a copy of this complete file to perform a small test. GoalImportsTEST.csv
- Delete all but a few records you will later verify have correctly imported
Day of the Data Transfer
- First import our user-import file IMPORT_OLD.csv
- This file has "username_old" value. This will change usernames for all users that we are changing ID for, and allows us to later import the USERID file that has NEW IDs.
- Import via Admin tools > Employee import (or, Import Employee Data in EC instance)
- We recommend you use the validate data tool first. If you see invalid manager IDs, you should first correct these errors.
- Once completed you now have all original users with changed usernames. All users are still active.
- Import main file IMPORT_NEW.csv
- This file contains New USERID in Userid, Manager, and HR columns, and has original usernames in username column
- At this point we now have active in our system, both Old user IDs and new user IDs.
- The old USERID's have usernames_old, and the records with new USERID's have the original usernames.
- Import your new extended data files that have new USERID's for
- personal information
- background info. Since this is a full file choose "override existing data"
- trend data. Since this is a full file choose "override existing data"
- Goal Imports
- Import your test file [GoalImportsTEST.csv] that contains a subset of the main goal import file.
- Proxy in as the person under their new USERID that the goals were for.
- Confirm they show up as expected in the correct goal plan
- If successful you will then import the main goal file that contains original usernames (Remember, goal import usually uses usernames, not USERID's)
- Other Actions to Perform
- You will need to manually reset any custom user permissions for managers, users, and administrators that had been previously granted.
- Only permissions set in "Default User Permissions" will apply by default.
- Users & Managers May Copy Data
- Users may now access the system to manually "Send Copies" of old completed forms from their old USERID to their new USERID.
- Users will navigate to the proxy account using the Options link.
- Users can send completed documents from the old account to the new account by navigating to the Completed folder and using the Send option.
- Users can also transfer existing goals if you are employing this option.
- Launch new forms for new userid as needed.
- Disable Old User Accounts
- After you have completed all the actions above, including users transferring forms from old IDs to new IDs you can then disable the old user's so that you do not exceed your seat license per your contract
- Using the IMPORT_OLD.csv file that contains all the old user IDs, change the status to INACTIVE for user.
- Import via employee import to inactivate the old user account.
APPENDIX: How to use Send Copy
- Log into your instance
- Once you logged into your instance click My Forms Tab
- Open your In Progress folder or Completed folder. (located on the left of the screen)
- Click on the form that you want to send a copy of
- If enabled, the Send Copy button will show at the top of the form
- When you click on send copy button you can select the employees that you want to send the form to
- Select all employees that you want to send the form to and hit the select and continue button
- You as the sender can add comments in the comment box and send the form. Note, the comments will only show in the audit trail of the person your comment is for.
Transfer data across User Id, Data from Old to New User Id, data import, export, platform , KBA , csg_q , sf bizx performance management , LOD-SF-PLT , Platform Foundational Capabilities , How To
SAP SuccessFactors HXM Suite all versions