How do we set the record we want as active?
Can we transfer records from the userID we don't want to the new userID?
Can we delete the userID we do not want?
How do we change the usernames so that we keep the username we want with the userID that will remain active?
SAP SuccessFactors HXM Suite
Reproducing the Issue
You have an employee that has two records in the system, or you have an employee that already has an existing record, but you need to import a new record with a new userID. You are switching the System of Record and all employees will have new USER ID's.
- When doing an employee import for the new record you are getting this error:
User Import Process has reported error(s). You need to fix the following error(s) and re-import the users as necessary:
Failed to add/update user [tthomas] "Tina Thomas" (Sales;ACE Software;Central): Duplicate Username - "tthomas"
- If you have the need to change all or many userID's due to legal reasons, please contact Customer Success to discuss your needs. This solution is only to address the situation where you have 1 record or a few records that are problematic and need to be addressed.
- In the SuccessFactors system USERID is the primary key for the master table that defines each user. As in most employee databases, changing this primary key is not possible without risking disruption of functionality throughout the system.
SuccessFactors does not support changing the USERID field of an existing record from the front end. You would need to perform a userID conversion see KBA 2088176 - User ID Conversion process and frequently asked questions - Platform
- You have an employee that has a current record in the system, example UserID = 123 Username = employeeA
Employee123 has been transferred, or rehired and now has a new record and ID in your system of record. Your end goal is to get the UserNAME employeeA, which is currently attached to userID 123 to be associated with their new record with userID 789.
- The best way to ensure all the data that was tied to the original userID is maintained is to store the SuccessFactors userID in your system of record.
You can create a custom field in your system of record (example: SF ID) and retain the original value. Then when creating the user data file all that has to be done is to map SF ID to USERID column in the file.
You may need to create a rule when creating the file that if the SF ID does not exist to pull the System of Record's ID, another option is to write a rule that if SF ID is null then populate SF ID with the System of Record's ID. This will account for any internal changes in userID you may have.
When trying to import the new record you might be getting the following error: User Import Process has reported error(s). You need to fix the following error(s) and re-import the users as necessary:
Failed to add/update user [employeeA] "employeeA" (Sales;ACE Software;Central): Duplicate Username - "employeeA"
- You need to free up username employeeA by changing the username of the old record to employeeA_OLD
- Go to admin tools > Employee Export > Export Users (some clients have it configured to give the admin the ability to change the username via "Change User Information")
- Save the *.csv file to desktop and delete all records except the 2 header rows and the current record for employeeA.
- Change username to employeeA_OLD
- Re-import that one record via admin tools > Employee Import
The old userID is no longer associated with username employeeA. You can import the new record without getting any duplicate username conflict.
- Change the .csv file so the record has the new details you want to achieve: UserId = 789 and UserName = employeeA
- Perform another import via admin tools > Employee Import
- At this point you will have 2 records for employeeA. The new ID with employeeA and the old record with employeeA_OLD.
- If needed, while both records are active, login as employeeA_OLD, open any completed forms you want employeeA to have a copy of and use the "SEND COPY" button if you have that feature enabled for that form template. Copies can only be viewed and cannot be edited.
- Use admin tools > Objective (Goal) Transfer to transfer goals to the new userID
- Use export/import features in admin tools for personal information, background data and trend data to associate data with the new userID
- IT IS NOT POSSIBLE to transfer in-progress forms to any new USERID. History for any employee will ALYAYS remain with the USERID it was launched to. You can however import historical scores (not forms) for the new userID using admin tools > Managing Documents > Import Overall Scores
- Once you have transferred the possible data from employeeA_OLD to employeeA as outlined above, set the status of employeeA_OLD to INACTIVE via admin tools > Manage Users > Set user Status
- You already have 2 records in the system due to previous imports. You want to set one record as active and possibly transfer some content from one record to the other.
Record 1: UserID = 123 UserName = employeeA
Record 2: UserID = 789 UserName = employeeB
The first and most important consideration is to determine which record has the USERID the employee will use going forward. This will be the record that will remain active. You CANNOT simply swap the userIDs of the 2 existing records as that is not a valid action.
If for example that is UserID 789, but you have data associated with UserID 123 then:
- Set both records as active via admin tools > Set User Status.
- Login as employeeA and open any completed forms you want employeeB to get a copy of. Use the "SEND COPY" button if you have that feature enabled for the form templates.
- Use admin tools > Objective (Goal) Transfer to transfer goals from employeeA to employeeB
- Use export/import features in admin tools for personal information, background data and trend data to associate data with the new userID 789. You can choose to leave data for 123, and add duplicates for 789, or change all records for 123 to 789 so data only exists for 789 (employeeB.)
- IT IS NOT POSSIBLE to transfer in-progress forms to any new USERID. History for any employee will ALWAYS remain with the USERID it was launched to. You can however import historical scores (not forms) for the new userID using admin tools > Managing Documents > Import Overall Scores
- Once you have transferred the possible data from employeeA to employeeB as outlined above, set the status of employeeA to INACTIVE via admin tools > Manage Users > Set user Status
- NOTE: If you also need to swap the usernames, so that 123 = employeeB and 789 = employeeA, follow the steps outlined in CASE 1 to avoid duplicate username issues.
KBA 2088176 - Manage Users: User ID Conversion process and frequently asked questions - Platform
change userID, how to correct user with two records, user with 2 records , KBA , sf employee central , sf manage employee data , LOD-SF-PLT , Platform Foundational Capabilities , Problem