After creating a substitute item the substitute is not recognized, causing other items to still be assigned.
SAP SuccessFactors Learning
Reproducing the Issue
- Create 2 items, for example item A and item B
- Go to item A and go to the Substitutes tab
- Add a new substitute and choose item B as the substitute
- Choose a completion status, whether you want to provide credit for base item if not assigned or not, and if you would like to have an effective date or not
- Now when the user completes item B, if item A would be given as substitute credit
How to setup Substitutes is outlined in the User Assistance Documentation
Here are the things that affect the substitute credit:
- Program agenda substitutes are applicable.
- Substitute credit should apply to any Program setup regardless if the items are all within the Program Agenda or any other set up.
- Go to System Admin > Configuration > Global Application Settings, select Enable Substitutes and possibly Enable Substitutes in Curriculum Requirements.
'Provide Credit for Base Item If Not Assigned' option controls whether the past substitute item completion will give credit to parent item or not
*** Assuming that Item B is substitute of Item A, and Item A is in the user learning plan...
When Item A is free-floating:
- If checked, it will give credit from all (past and future) completions of Item B, depending on the effective date
- If you provide a date in the Effective Date box, then the system ignores any substitute completions for a user if the user completed the substitute item before that date
- If you do not provide a value in the Effective Date box, then the system accepts any completion of the substitute item
- If not checked, only future completions of Item B can give credit to parent item as long as the parent item A is on the learning plan
- If the completion date of the substitute item is earlier than the assignment date of the parent, it will not give credit to the parent item even if it is in the user's learning plan. (But it will give credit if they are both in the learning plan.)
When Item A is assigned though Curriculum:
- Substitute credit will always be given to item A whether or not the Provide Credit for Base Item If Not Assigned is ticked and no matter what the completion date of Item B. Please see below Note for some implications of the Provide Credit for Base Item If Not Assigned setting.
- Revision substitute: You revise an item but would like the old revision to be substitute of the new revision
- If you create it AFTER the revision is completed, it will be a problem as it won’t apply to people who immediately get affected by the new revision
- You must NOT make the revision production ready… set up the substitute relationship, then make the revision production ready
Note: Completion date for items with substitute relationship has to be greater than the item assignment date, otherwise, substitute credit will not be given. Provide Credit for Base Item If Not Assigned (i.e. Force Credit) is only applied at the time of substitute relationship creation. If Provide Credit for Base Item If Not Assigned is checked after substitute relationship creation, it will only apply upon next substitute item completion
Business Scenario Workaround: For scenarios where substitute credit did not apply because either the substitute relations was not setup before assignment, the note above, or the original was only recorded through history & never assigned as by design of subsitute explained above, but you still want substitute credit: Either mark the item with learning history with substitute credit manually or via connector if you need it recorded as such, or if just needing to prevent reassignment of new item, ensure to modify an Assignment Profile with that item completion exclusion in the rules.
sf, success factors, LMS, force credit, curriculum, effective date, complete, completion, LRN-56677, substitute of a substitute, logic, missing, not, applied, recognized, force, credit, base, relationship, logic , KBA , LOD-SF-LMS-COR , LMS Core - Items, Catalog, Curricula , LOD-SF-LMS-ITE , Items , How To