How to set up Configuration UI Rules.
"Image/data in this KBA is from SAP internal systems, sample data, or demo systems. Any resemblance to real data is purely coincidental."
- SAP SuccessFactors - Employee Central
- SAP SuccessFactors HXM Suite
- Metadata Framework (MDF)
- One Config UI Screen can have multiple UI rules
- There are several Events where these config UI rules can be linked
- Screen onInit - At runtime after the screen renders
- Field onChange - Each field has onChange Event and is triggered user changes its value
- Link onClick - Link of type "Execute UI Rules" has onClick event and as name says it is triggered when user clicks the link
- One Event can have multiple UI Rules associated with it
- When any of these event occurs all rules associated with it are executed one after the other in the order
- Each UI rule is identified by its unique name
Manage Config UI Rules
Below screenshots show how to add, edit and delete Config UI Rules for the Screen. In Config UI Designer when you hover over Title bar of the screen following Toolbar is exposed.
Config UI Rules List View
The toolbar item "Manage UI Rules" open the dialog that lists the existing UI rules for this screen if defined already or allows user to add new.
Add new UI Rule (UI Rule editor)
In UI Rules list on clicking "Add Rule" button we get this Rule editor to create new UI rule. On Save it validates the Rule for valid name and rule statements being correct.
Edit existing Rule in Rule Editor
If existing Rule in List View is clicked then it opens this Rule Editor with selected rule allowing us to edit it. We can edit, make changes and save it again. Unfortunately if you rename rule it doesn't check if another rule with that name does exist. It will overwrite that existing rule with this one. Also if rule is renamed then it won't go to all the references of this rule and correct them. It is required to correct those references manually on renaming the rule.
Rules on Screen onInit Event
Title hover toolbar also has another button "Edit Properties" that allows us to edit title (in "Title Type User Defined" field) and also associate onInit rules for the Screen. Those previously created rules are available here to be linked with onInit event of the screen. These rules will execute at Runtime when this Config UI rendered with data. Currently value changes done via such init rules are visible in edit mode only. In UI fields we will need an enhancement to reflect the value changes in read mode too.
Rules on Field onChange Event
Some of those rules can also be linked with Field onChange event from Field's properties dialog.
Rules on Link onClick Event
Link of type "Execute UI Rules" can have several UI rules linked to its click event.
- UI Rules should not be used to modify or set field data, but instead set UI parameters like "visibility". Business Rules should instead be used when changing or setting field data.
- OnInit Rules will always override RBP as they have a higher priority and will take precedence over RBP and Field Level Overrides.
- OnInit Rules Trigger at run time once the screen initializes, so as soon as the UI loads the rule will trigger. Meaning, that once the UI loads RBP will be overridden by the rule.
- OnClick UI rules are not currently supported in PP3, Engineering are working on a timeline to include this functionality in future releases. At present it can be used in Manage data page with Default screen attached.
Manage Configuration UI UI Rules ECT-171844 INC1495892, KBA , LOD-SF-MDF-UI , UI Config, Layout & Rules , LOD-SF-EC-MDF , MDF & EC2MDF Migration , How To