The Sync MDF Position Model with Employee Data only updates the position’s externalName for English US language.
Image/data in this KBA is from SAP internal systems, sample data, or demo systems. Any resemblance to real data is purely coincidental.
SAP SuccessFactors Succession Management
By default, the "Sync MDF Position Model with Employee Data" would only update the externalName.en_US translation in the Position object, which may result in the incorrect or blank position title showing when users change the system language.
In b1608 release, an enhancement was released to allow customers to choose which locales (position title translations) they wanted to be updated by the Sync.
To update the other translations of the positions' externalName field, you need to enable those locales when submitting the Sync MDF Position Model with Employee Data process.
- Go to Admin Center > Succession > Position management: Sync Position Model with Employee Data.
- You'll then see the option "Which language and language locale do you want to use for the MDF Position Sync process?".
- In this section, select all the locales (languages) that you use in your instance.
- Submit the Sync process:
In case you have a scheduled job (daily, weekly) to run the Sync, you can contact Cloud Product Support and request the job in the back end to be updated with the locales.
Update existing data
After you change the settings of the "Sync MDF Position Model with Employee Data", this will resolve the issue going forward, but you may still need to manually update the existing Position Title values. You can use the Position Import to update the externalName for the other languages on existing data. To do so, you can follow the below steps:
- Go to Admin Center > Employee Files > Import and Export Data > Export all records for the Position object.
- In the exported CSV file, copy all values from externalName.en_US to the other languages available for externalName > Save the CSV file.
- Go to Admin Center > Employee Files > Import and Export Data > import the CSV file you just modified.
If you don't have "English US" language enabled for your instance, you will not have the "externalName.en_US" column in your MDF Position Export. To enable this field, so you can copy the correct Position Titles to the other languages, you can do the following:
- Go to Admin Center > Company Settings > Configure Object Definitions.
- Select "Object Definition" in the first dropdown and "Translations" in the second one.
- Click "Take Action" > "Make Correction".
- Locate the field "en_US" in the field list > click "Details".
- Change the "Visibility" field from "Not Visible" to "Read Only" or "Editable".
- Click "Finished" > "Save".
After making the "en_US" translation visible for MDF Objects, you can try to export the Positions again and update the existing data with the updated position titles from "externalName.en_US" field.
NOTE: If you are importing Positions from an external system, you should not run the Sync MDF Position Model with Employee Data process, as it may cause inconsistencies in your Position Model. Please note that you should use only one method for managing the position model: either Import Positions or the Sync MDF Position Model with Employee Data tool.
Position Title not displaying in Succession Org Chart, SOC, MDF Position Sync, externalName, translations locales, Position Title not updated after sync, Position , KBA , LOD-SF-SCM-POS , Position Imports, Sync, Tiles etc. , LOD-SF-SCM , Succession Management , LOD-SF-SCM-ORG , Succession Org Chart , Problem