- What logic does the Sync MDF Position Model with Employee Data follow?
- What are the common scenarios with the Sync feature?
Image/data in this KBA is from SAP internal systems, sample data, or demo systems. Any resemblance to real data is purely coincidental.
SAP SuccessFactors Succession Management
This SAP Knowledge Base Article provides details on how the MDF sync will process three common scenarios. Note that MDF Sync updates the position model for the following scenarios sequentially:
- User is Deactivated (e.g. due to separation, leave of absence etc.):
This update to the position model is initiated when the sync logic finds inactive employees with active positions within the system. The sync follows the logic below:
- If there are no successors associated with the position, delete (i.e. provide effective end date and change status to inactive) existing position for inactive employee;
- If there are successors associated with the position, make the position a “TBH” (vacant) position by removing the incumbent.
The following graphic illustrates this trigger:
- User is Activated (e.g. new hire, returning from leave of absence):
This update to the position model is initiated when the sync logic encounters an active user without an assigned position. This sync follows the following logic:
- If one or more TBH position exists:
- If there is an existing TBH position with the same reporting relationships (same direct reports and same manager as the active user in user info objects), make the active employee an incumbent for this TBH position. The number of direct reports to the TBH reports has to be >0 for this condition.
- If there is an existing TBH position with same job title and same manager as the active user but no direct reports, make the active employee incumbent for the TBH position.
NOTE: If there are multiple TBH positions that match these criteria, randomly assign a position to the new incumbent. Make sure all new active incumbents have a position.
If there are existing TBH positions that do not match the above two criteria, create a new position for the active employee reporting to the manager according to user info
- If there are no TBH positions available, create a new position for the active employee reporting to the manager according to user info.
When a new position is created, populate the standard definition fields of the position object with default data.
The following images illustrate these principles:
- User’s Manager and/or Position Title Changes (e.g. transfer or promotion):
This update is initiated when an employee’s manager or job title changes. These changes can occur for a variety of reasons including transfer, promotions, expat assignments, leave of absence etc. This step is critical to ensure that successors are retained properly during all such cases. This step is also necessary to complete the previous two cases and properly assign employees to active managers
The sync will follow the following logic:
- If Manager AND Position title changes:
- If there are successors attached to the position, a new position is created for the employee reporting to new manager and with new position title. Old position is updated to a TBH position and successors are retained to the TBH position. Old position retains the old position title.
- If there are no successors attached to the position, employee’s position is updated to report to the new manager with new position title.
- If ONLY employee’s manager changes, employee’s position is simply updated to report to new manager. Successors are retained with the position
- If ONLY employee’s position title changes, employee’s position is updated to reflect the new job title. No new positions are created.
The images illustrate these scenarios:
NOTE: A rare use case where an employee is transferred to a new department, but retains the old position title may result in successors moving with the employee’s position to the new department. Administrators are advised to review the email notification and identify potential scenarios where successors may have changed departments.
sync of positions, metadata framework, position model with employee data scenarios, flow, workflow, how does it work, SCM, employee, position, MSF , KBA , LOD-SF-SCM-POS , Position Imports, Sync, Tiles etc. , LOD-SF-SCM , Succession Management , How To