At System Administration > Manage Email > Email Notification Templates > By doing a blank search, there are some template IDs which are numerical, and many of them have the same description.
What are those numbered templates used for?
Image/data in this KBA is from SAP internal systems, sample data, or demo systems. Any resemblance to real data is purely coincidental.
SAP SuccessFactors Learning
Reproducing the Issue
- Go to System Administration > Manage Email > Email Notification Templates >
- Do not provide any filter and click "Search" >
- A few templates with numeric IDs return.
The templates with numeric IDs get automatically created by the system when an admin performs any change on a notification template at the item or class level (inside the "Email Notifications" tab).
Once the notification template customization occurs on the item or class level, the system will treat that particular item-level (or class-level) template differently than the standard notification template, and will create a new numeric ID for it as a customized version. Thus, the link between this notification and its corresponding central notification template ID is broken, then the system no longer propagates modifications that you make to the standard notification template ID to this notification. You will need to maintain it one by one at item/class level.
Since the link between the item with a custom notification and the standard template is broken, once you try to delete the custom template, the application will thrown a validation error stating that the custom template cannot be removed because it is in use.
For example: if an admin edited the "Class Cancellation Notification" for item A and item B separately, 2 more notification templates with numeric IDs will be automatically by the system. Similarly, if an admin edited both the "Class Cancellation Notification" and the "Registration Notification" for one item, 2 additional notification templates with numeric IDs would also be automatically added for each of them, which can be verified by the amounts of total records searched out in the System Configuration > Notification Templates. Please note there will be only 1 numeric template ID created for a particular notification type in one item/class.
- If an admin does not do any modifications, then all new items created in Learning are automatically prepopulated with the global template notification body.
- If an admin modifies a notification at the item level, then all future classes from that item are prepopulated with item template notification body.
- The changes done on a specific class will not be reflected in other future classes created for the same item (future ones will be populated with the item level notification body, as described above).
- To find out the association of these numeric template IDs with the items and/or classes, it is possible to check the following tables in the database. In these tables, you will be able to find the template ID that has been created by the application for the modified item or class:
number, numeric, notification, template, association, create, custom, id , KBA , LOD-SF-LMS-NOT , Notifications , LOD-SF-LMS , Learning Management System , How To