- What is the size limit of text field in Object Details. i.e. the Maximum number of Characters that can fit in the text field.
Image/data in this KBA is from SAP internal systems, sample data, or demo systems. Any resemblance to real data is purely coincidental
- SAP Success Factors Metadata Framework - Configure Object Definition Help Text
- SAP Success FactorsEmployee Central - Payment Information Object Definition Help Text
Reproducing the Issue
- Go to Configure Object Definitions,
- Open any objet
- Access the details section of any field
- How many characters can fit in the fields therein?
**Note: All images are from a demo system**
A. System Default.
These fields have a default size limit which you see in the Field section of the object under column header "Maximum Length"
B. Custom Setting.
Certain Fields such as Tranlatable Fields like Help Text, can be set, up to a Maximun Length of 4000 Characters.
A. Default Setting:
If in doubt you can check the text size limit by entering a long text in the field and the system will notify you about the set limits.
B. Custom Setting:
You can make the field length bigger for certain field such as the help text field, on the field object:
- Go to Configure Object Definitions
- Search for the Field object
- Click on Make Corrections to edit
- Under Max Length, enter the Length you wish to increase to. (max is 4000)
Now you will be able to store a text as defined by you.
It can have max length 4000 as you can notice from the below error message if you attempt to enter more text
another example is the the text size limit for "Description" field is 2000, which you can find out by using the same tip provide above. i.e. entering a long text.
NB: The images found in this article are taken from Successfactors Demo Instance.
2541867 -Maximum length of "Name" field in Department
2645388 - Validate Field Length
2426526 - How to use a Business Rule to apply a Format/Regular Expression to a Field
Text Size Limit, field size, Maximum Length, Fields Object, , KBA , help text in mdf field , LOD-SF-EC-PAY , Payment Information (Bank Information) , LOD-SF-MDF-OBJ , Object Definition & Field Related Issues , How To