You encounter the below error (or similar) in a standard SAP SuccessFactors Intergation, Custom Integration OR within a CompoundEmployee API query response:
- COMPOUND_EMPLOYEE/OVERLAPPING_TIME_SLICE_ERROR</code><severity>ERROR</severity><message_text>"job_information" with start date 2018-01-17 and end date 2018-05-07 overlaps with record with start date 2018-05-07 and end date 2018-05-07
(Please note that these dates are just one example).
- SAP SuccessFactors HXM Suite
- CompoundEmployee API
- Employee Central - Effective Dated Entities
Reproducing the Issue
- In SuccessFactors Employee Central (EC) add information in job_information and set the initial new date as the same date from the last entry for this employee.
- Replicate Employee to ERP using your middleware, for example, boomi.
- The error will happen in your middleware before the information is sent to ERP.
This can happen when manually inputting or editing Start Date & End Date data in Effective-Dated entites (e.g personal_information, job_information, compensation_information)
Although this overlaped entry is acceptable to maintain in Success Factors EC, SAP ERP does not allow this conflict entry, therefore, CompoundEmployee API will return the error before the replication happens.
Go to the employee record and view the Job Information history.
And for the particular transaction mentioned on the error, delete the transaction and refresh the record manually.
Re-enter the same transaction again and SAVE the record.
Note: This issue can also occur on the <associated_employee_job_information> segment of Compound Employee
Data for person id external 1234567 can't be returned: Please see log items for more information.
"associated_employee_job_information" with start date 2019-12-01 and end date 9999-12-31 overlaps with record with start date 2020-12-31 and end date9999-12-31.
In such cases, the data of person id external: 1234567 is fine. The issue is related to associated employee data
This could be a manager, custom_manager, matrix_manager etc.
And could be a current or past time-slice / effective segment - depending on the selection criteria used in your CE API request
Can this corrective action be automated?
In the past customers have asked if this corrective action can be automated within the system.
As it can, in come cases, be very time consuming to idenify & manually correct effective-dated segments (time-slices) that overlap.
- This request has been evaluated and unfortunately, this is not possible to develop logic which can accurately idenitfy & correct the data in every situation / context
It requires manual intervention from a user who understands what changes can and cannot be deleted.
Also, the request is more relevant to the Job Information & other effective-dated entity owners than CompoundEmployee API.
Tip: Intergation Center can be used to identity time-slices / effective-dated segment which overlap:
- Remember, Effective From & Effective To time-based filters are needed to see historical / future records
- We suggest including Event Reason field & ordering by endDate descending to achieve the most readable view of the data to easily spot inconsistencies
CompoundEmployee, compound, employee, API, log_item, OVERLAPPING_TIME_SLICE_ERROR, Data for person id external, can't be returned, start date, and end date, overlaps with record with start date, delta, periodDelta, time, slice, effective, dated, segment , KBA , LOD-SF-INT-CE , Compound Employee API , LOD-SF-EC , Employee Central , LOD-SF-INT , Integrations , Problem