When creating a Job Profile, and entering a text for description, following errors are returned:
- "Field undefined in US English is exceeding its max length"
- "Field Position Requirements: in US English is exceeding its max length"
Image/data in this KBA is from SAP internal systems, sample data, or demo systems. Any resemblance to real data is purely coincidental.
SAP SuccessFactors Job Profile Builder
Reproducing the Issue
- Go to Admin Center > Manage Job Profile;
- Create or edit a Job Profile;
- Enter Job Profile description;
- Error message "Field undefined in US English is exceeding its max length;" is displayed:
These error messages when editing/adding a description for Job Profile can be caused by:
- the job description has blank spaces at the end:
- Pasting in the description text box, a text copied from a text document with bullet points.
For each cause presented here in this article, there is a correspondent solution:
- If there are blank spaces at the end of the text, it will affect the format of the text and the maximum character limit, even if the text has fewer characters than the system limit. It is necessary to ensure that there are no blank spaces at the end of each sentence.
- Remove the bullet points from text copied before pasting into the text box in Job Profile:
- Open the text you would like to paste in Job Profile, and remove the bullet points from the text:
- Or open the text in a text editor (e.g. Notepad) to remove any text format:
- Copy the text without the previous formatting, and paste it in the Job Profile description;
- Use the text editing tools provided in the system to add bullet points to your text:
- Click "I'm done" to save changes.
The different sections available on Job Profile have a maximum length of 4000 bytes on database - the data stored cannot be over 4000 bytes.
It is also important to consider that the sections in a Job Profile are HTML based, and even though the value "abc" is added in the sections, we would need to include the HTML tags in the character count. Therefore, we are not adding only 3 characters for the text (abc), in database the text is stored as <p>abc</p>, including HTML tags.
In addition, unicode characters are encoded in bytes, where each character in UTF-8 uses 1 byte, but special characters from Roman, Greek, Cyrillic, Coptic, Armenian, Hebrew, Arabic languages use 2 bytes, and Chinese and Japanese languages, among others, use 3 bytes per special character. If you are using special characters in the Job Profile sections, the text size may vary from one locale to another.
The maximum character limit provided for Job Profile cannot be increased.
For more details, check the section Text Limitation Errors When Creating Job Profile Content of the Job Profile Builder Guide.
JPB, Create Job Profile, Character Limit, Job Description, Job Profile Error, job profile builder, limitation, locale, language, encode, special character, 4000 bytes, Field undefined in US English is exceeding its max length, Field Position Requirements: in US English is exceeding its max length , KBA , LOD-SF-TJ-JPB , Job Profile Builder , Problem