When you Terminate an Incumbent of a Position who is the Manager for multiple employees (has Direct Reports), you are presented with the option to "Transfer Direct Reports". There are 3 options to choose from:
Everyone to upper level manager
- Everyone to other manager
- Individual transfer of direct reports
But when any of these options are used, the changes do not synchronize back to the Direct Reports Position
Employee Central 2.0
- Position Management
Reproducing the Issue
Navigate to an employee that is the Manager for multiple employees
- Select "Actions" and "Terminate"
- Set an Effective Date
- Scroll down and you can "Transfer Direct Reports"
- Select an option and complete the Termination process
Result - The Related Manager is updated in the Direct Reports Job Information, but the Direct Reports Position > Matrix Relationships is not updated
This is currently expected behaviour. As it stands to date, the Termination UI does not support updating the Position hierarchy during the Termination action.
The solution is to action the following process, to ensure that the Direct Reports are updated with the correct Manager, based on how Position Management behaves:
- Terminate the Manager and during the Termination set the "Terminate Direct Reports" option to to Everyone to upper level manager
- Once the Manager is Terminated, the Direct Reports will report to the next Manager up the hierarchy - this is in line with how Position Management handles gaps in the hierarchy.
- Then once Termination is complete, hiring a new Incumbent into the now vacant Manager Position will automatically update the Direct Reports hierarchy with the new Manager
NOTE: If you choose one of the other options, the system will maintain a custom hierarchy until the original Managers Position is filled once again.
position, direct reports, termination, terminate, ui, Transfer Direct Reports , KBA , LOD-SF-EC-POS , Position Management , How To