Error below happens when creating a business layer based on BICS OLAP connection in IDT of BI4.1
SAP BusinessObjects query and reporting applications can directly connect to BEx queries.
No universe is required, only a published SAP NetWeaver BW (BICS Client) connection.
- SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence platform 4.1 (BI4.1)
- SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence platform 4.2 (BI4.2)
- Information Design Tool (IDT)
Reproducing the Issue
- Login to IDT.
- Create an OLAP connection based on SAP BICS client.
- Create shortcut of the OLAP connection to Local Project.
- Right click on the shortcut and select New Business Layer.
- When accessing BW system, error below happens:
This behavior is by design in BI4.1.
There are descriptions below in IDT user guide of BI4.1:
"You cannot build a business layer on an SAP BICS Client connection although these connections appear in the list. Use SAP BICS Client connections in SAP BusinessObjects query and reporting applications to connect directly to the BEx query. No business layer or universe is required to access BEx queries. "
This feature can be used in BI4.2 version, and there are descriptions below in IDT user guide of BI4.2:
"You can now create a business layer directly on a BEx Query using SAP BICS Client. For BEx query specific business layer options and settings, see the section Working with a BEx query business layer"
Upgrade to BI4.2 version.
bics, olap, universe, business layer, create, error, bi, bo, bi4, 4.1, directly, required, no universe , KBA , BI-BIP-IDT-CX , Connection Layer , Problem