You are trying to create a new business partner (for example, a service agent), but the creation fails with error message "Number range depleted".
SAP Cloud for Customers
Reproducing the Issue
- Go to Business Partner work center
- Access the Service Agent work center view.
- Click the New button, then select Service Agent.
- Maintain all mandatory fields.
- Click Save or Save and Close.
- Error message is raised.
Most business partners (like accounts, contacts, etc.) share the same number range. The number range may already be depleted by another type of business partner.
You can maintain the number ranges for business partners in a single activity.
- Go to Business Configuration work center.
- Access the Overview work center view.
- Search and open the activity General Business Partners.
- Select Define Number Ranges for Business Partners.
- Maintain the number ranges as required.
It is not possible to create different number range specific for accounts, contacts, business partners.
When you create a business partner, you may use internal number ranges if you want the system to automatically assign a number.
When you create a business partner, you may use external number ranges if you want to enter the number manually.
Create number ranges with sufficient intervals to avoid future complications.
Ensure that the intervals of internal and external number ranges do not overlap.
Ensure that the ID length specified is not shorter than the length of any IDs that are currently in use in the system.
Changing previously assigned number ranges can lead to problems in the system.
If a business partner is already available in the system, you would not be able to change the beginning number of the number range interval, as there is a veto check in the backend that blocks the change if the ID of an existing business partner would be left outside the new number range. As such, the goal is always to change the end number of the interval to allow for new values (always observing that existing number ranges do not overlap).
It is not possible to delete the master data (accounts, contacts, business partners etc.) once it is created in the system.
The internal number ranges are used automatically by the solution during productive use, for example, if you create the data directly in the work centers' UI.
We recommend that you use the predefined number ranges.
Change the predefined number ranges only if necessary and mind the consequences.
- When you create business partners using the web services, where you manually specify the IDs in the request payload, the numbers will be taken from the external number range. When you create them using web services, where you do not specify the IDs in the request payload, the numbers will be automatically taken from the internal number range. The same applies for Data Workbench/OData as well.
- The external number range from "A" to "ZZZZZZZZZZ" is not open for editing and cannot be changed. The allowed characters are: "ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ0123456789_-/:\."
This interval allows to maintain alphanumerical IDs for business partners, but IDs must always start with a letter. So, for example ".A123" is not allowed but "A.123" is allowed.
Business Partners, business partner number range assignment, individual customers, accounts, account, contacts, contact, supplier , KBA , LOD-LE-BP-BP , Business Partner , How To