- What are Assignment Profiles?
- This KB article provides an overview of, assistance with configuration of, and resolution of issues with Assignment Profiles.
Image/data in this KBA is from SAP internal systems, sample data, or demo systems. Any resemblance to real data is purely coincidental.
SAP SuccessFactors Learning
Assignment Profiles Overview:
- Assignment Profiles (APs) allow organizations to automate the assignment learning content to groups of users who share common learning needs.
- They provide the ability to specify assignment rules for learning assignments.
- In addition to the assignment rules, the profiles allow you to specify what learning content you want the profile to assign to users (i.e. – Items, Curricula, Catalogs, etc.).
- The real benefit comes from the options you have in defining the desired Assignment Rules, plus the Related learning content that can be assigned through the profile itself.
Assignment Profiles can assign the following entities:
- User Role
Item Assignment & Eligibility:
Admin Methods of Delivering Curriculum Based Learning:
Assignment profile example:
For example, you can create an assignment profile that selects users where the users' Job Position is Project Manager, they are based London and where their tenure is “+ years and their shoe size is 9.5.
Assignment Rules definitions have two main areas:
- Defining Domains
- Defining the Rules to be applied for users in the defined Domains
- It is the combination of these two that determine what users are identified for learning assignments by the Assignment Profile
- The use of domains for user management can be beneficial in allowing you another way to group users in a hierarchy specifically for administration purposes
Assignment Profiles approaches require a mature business process:
- Multiple rules can be setup, having AND relationships in how they are evaluated
- When rules are connected by an AND, both rules must be true for a user to be included.
Rules can also be ‘grouped’ together to facilitate OR relationships in their overall evaluation, providing further flexibility
- When groups are connected by an OR, they must match either the first group of rules or the second group of rules
Assignment Profiles - Attributes:
Who can you assign entities to?
In Learning you can use a single assignment profile to assign more than one type of entity. It may be better to define only a single entity type to an assignment profile:
Assignment Profile - Process Flow:
Assignment Profiles Recommendations:
- Key challenge always is to have a granular way of delivering Learning.
- You want the minimal amount of APs and the minimal amount of attributes needed to get the job done.
- Are all the APs currently in place still required?
- Look to remove “redundant” APs.
- For those that are left, ask how complex are the APs and how many people do they apply to?
- Can you simplify the rules within certain APs and still achieve the same results?
- Have detailed descriptions in place for each one so moving forward this is easier and admins can see what each one does and reuse as necessary.
- Find out how many admins have access to propagate APs and restrict this to as few as possible to ensure there is minimal to no overrun.
- Check of common “themes” between APs check to see if adding a custom field or additional attribute could assist in streamlining the number of attributes needed.
- For any APs that just assign to a single or just a few Job Codes then opt for Job Code assignment as an alternative.
- Avoid performance issues by reducing the frequency of automated propagation of the Assignment Profiles to timeslots of low system usage.
- Consider checking the length of time it takes for the APM process to run ALL assignment profiles when it runs. Add a functioning email address to the APM and when the job is completed an output email will give you date and time details.
- Don’t worry about the system resources this uses since this is our problem in the cloud and not yours.
SF, success factors, LMS, AP, setup, entities , KBA , LOD-SF-LMS-ASP , Assignment Profile , How To