- The HANA System's CPU utilization is exhausted on at least one host or more.
- Even after a full restart of the DB , another massive CPU load and/or blocked transactions are observed on the system.
- From the kernel profiler trace (1804811 - SAP HANA Database: Kernel Profiler Trace), one particular callstack module is observed:
The main single CPU consumer is: vgettimeofday
I: <function and descendant CPU time>
E: function only time
(Sys: I: <function and descendant time>, E: function only time)
So in this example, the CPU is consumed by 22% alone for timestamp calls. This is not normal behavior.
The indexserver trace also shows us that we have a system timer fallback:
2019-08-19 13:28:24.081575 w Basis Timer.cpp(00718) : Fallback to system call for HR timer
- A high frequency of SQLExecutor threads with this callstack is observed in the indexserver runtime dumps :
[thr=99546]: SqlExecutor at
1: 0xffffffffff60017b in [vgettimeofday]+0x177 (<unknown>)
- A check of the clocksource from OS layer on the Linux host reveals it is not set at 'tsc'
~]# cat /sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0/current_clocksource
Image/data in this KBA is from SAP internal systems, sample data, or demo systems. Any resemblance to real data is purely coincidental.
- SAP HANA Database Platform Edition 1.0
- SAP HANA Database Platform Edition 2.0
- Intel CPUs
vgettimeofday, High CPU, tsc, clocksource , KBA , HAN-DB-PERF , SAP HANA Database Performance , Problem
About this pageThis is a preview of a SAP Knowledge Base Article. Click more to access the full version on SAP for Me (Login required).
Search for additional results
Visit SAP Support Portal's SAP Notes and KBA Search.