- How to change the external code of an MDF picklist?
- How to change the external code of an legacy picklist?
- The user sees the following warning message when they try to update the External Code or Legacy Picklist ID:
“Your configuration may be affected by changing the external code or the legacy picklist ID. You will need to adjust all configurations to match the modified value within or outside MDF. Do you still want to continue?”
Image/data in this KBA is from SAP internal systems, sample data, or demo systems. Any resemblance to real data is purely coincidental.
- SAP SuccessFactors HXM Suite
- Metadata frameowrk (MDF)
- To change the external code of the picklist
The external code of the picklist or picklist values can be changed when a picklist is created but is not used in the system yet. It must not be used previously in the picklist field of an object or in the picklists as parent or child.
SAP recommends that once picklists is in use, picklist codes are not changed. These changes can result in breaking references or data loss along with other functional issues.
For example, let’s assume that ISOCountryList is a picklist. A custom object cust_VisaInformation has a field Country that refers to picklist ISOCountryList and there are a few records for cust_VisaInformation in the system. Here, when the picklist code is changed for ISOCountryList, all the data associated with the picklist value of cust_VisaInformation will become invalid.
You can use the following steps:
- Export all records of the referenced objects using Admin Center > Import and Export Data.
- Change the code of picklist using Picklist Center from old value to new value.
- Change the Valid Value Source for field Country on all reference objects.
- Import the updated data.
- To change the legacy picklist ID
Legacy Picklist ID represents the ID that needs to be used in configurations outside MDF. This ID is not used by MDF based object definitions. For example,
- Succession Data Model (picklist configuration on Manage Business Configuration/BCUI like EC JobInformation, EC PersonalInformation, and so on)
- Country Specific Succession Data Model (picklist configuration on Manage Business Configuration /BCUI)
- EC corporate Data model, like Location Foundation Object
- Picklist for Employee profile, like standard-element, userinfo-element, and so on
SAP recommends that when picklist is in use, Legacy Picklist ID is not changed. These changes can result in breaking references or data loss along with other functional issues.
You can use the following workarounds here:
- Before you change Legacy Picklist ID for any of the MDF picklists, ensure that you have the list of places where this picklist is being used outside MDF.
- Change the Legacy Picklist ID in all the places where this picklist is being used.
mdf picklist, change externalCode, picklist, externalCode, legacy picklistId, picklist Id , KBA , LOD-SF-MDF-PKL , Picklists , LOD-SF-PLT-PCK , Picklist Management Issue , Problem