You are performing Post Goods Receipt for Serialized Products, and you enter a valid Serial Number, but the system triggers the above error message among others.
SAP Business ByDesign
Reproducing the Issue
- Navigate to the Inbound Logistics work center.
- Go to the Purchase Orders view.
- Find and select a relevant Purchase Order.
- Click the Post Goods Receipt button.
- In the opened 'Create Inbound Delivery and Goods Receipt' screen, go to the Serial Numbers sub-tab.
- Enter a valid Serial Number for example '123456789' and press the Return/Enter key on your keyboard.
- The system displays the following error messages:
- Decoding of bar code failed
- -----> Bar code ]C121123456789 does not contain a valid application identifier
- -----> Bar code 123456789 decoding failed
For using Serial Numbers, it is necessary to enable Bar Code (i.e. Automatic Identification) functionality in the Business Configuration and to maintain the correct
Application Identifier relevant for your Bar Code scanning. You have not maintained the Application Identifier relevant for Serial Numbers which is 21 in ‘Bar Code Type UCC/EAN 128’ screen. The system was expecting the Application Identifier 21 as seen in the error message above (see the 2 digits right before the Serial Number you have entered).
- Navigate to Business Configuration work centre.
- Go to Implementation Project view.
- Select the relevant Implementation Project and click on the Open Activity List button.
- In the Activity list, Show All Activities and search for ‘Bar Code Type UCC/EAN 128’ (ensure it is scoped).
- Select the Activity ‘Bar Code Type UCC/EAN 128’ and click on the Open button.
- In the ‘Bar Code Type UCC/EAN 128’ screen, you can see the activated Bar Code Type is a customized one and the Application Identifier used is ‘00’ (Skip field).
- We recommend that you use the provided standard EAN128 Bar Code type which contains all relevant Application Identifiers including 21 for Serial Numbers.
- Once you set the EAN128 Bar Code type active, you should be able to post the goods receipt with Serial Number without the error.
- After saving your changes, you may need to log out of the system for these to take effect.
1916905 - Error Message: Decoding of Bar Code Failed, While Doing Post Goods Issue
Application Identifier, 21, Serial Number, Bar Code Type, EAN128 , KBA , AP-SLP-REQ , Site Logistics Request , Problem