Error message appears during edit and save of EC portlets like Job Info, Comp Info, Global Assignment, Termination, etc.:
“xxx is an invalid external code for xxx. You can validate the external code using the Foundation Object AdHoc report or Manage Organisation, Pay and Job Structures page. For Generic Objects, refer to the Manage Data page. In case the value is correct, verify that it is active as of the start date” appears when doing a change in Job Information or terminating a user."
Image/data in this KBA is from SAP internal systems, sample data, or demo systems. Any resemblance to real data is purely coincidental.
SAP SuccessFactors Employee Central
Reproducing the Issue
- Edit Job information
- Populate fields > Save > Error appears
- Take Action > Termination
- Choose Termination Reason and populate fields > Save > Error appears (because a Termination will create a new Job Info record)
This is a validation message which is generated when the value mentioned in the message, is invalid for the field it is currently set in. Meaning, there is a data issue that needs correcting.
The corresponding Foundation Object (FO) or MDF/Generic Object (GO) value set in the field is invalid - it may have been deleted or made inactive. An object value being deleted or made inactive is only possible by admin action and might be cause by how you manage / maintain object data for your company.
How to properly manage & maintain Foundation Objects or MDF Objects when their values are consumed by Employee Data
Please see KBA for more detailed information on cause of this configuration error (if you do not follow these guidelines, this data problem will occur): 2080801 How to update Foundation Objects, and the respective Employee Data - Employee Central
What if I cannot see the mentioned field in the UI?
- You may not see the mentioned field from the error message if there is a rule that hides the field during runtime in the UI
- Affected user might not have sufficient permission to view the mentioned fields due to RBP.
How to resolve the error message
As mentioned above, the error is because of how you managed that related objects values. Whether you decided to delete the value or make it inactive on an Effective Date that is before Employee Data records using that value, end.
For end users:
- Maintain a correct/valid FO/ GO – if the user has the permission and the knowledge the user can maintain the invalid field directly in the troubled portlet
- If the field is hidden – there is not much the user can do; the HR admins need to correct the data.
For HR Admins:
Check the FO/GO object definition:
- Validate whether the external code from error message still exists. You can do this 2 ways:
- If it is a Foundation Object > Go to Admin Center > Manage Organisation, Pay & Job Structures > select the corresponding Object and search for the value (make sure to Include Inactive Values)
- Alternatively using the Foundation Object AdHoc report to check the existing values (active or inactive) - See KBA 2176710 - How to generate an Adhoc Report for Foundation Object in SuccessFactors System
- If it is an MDF Object > Go to Admin Center > Manage Data > select the corresponding Object and search for the value (make sure to Include Inactive Values)
- Alternatively use Admin Center > Import & Export Data to export all values for the related Object
- There could be 2 different causes:
- If the value is not found at all - then it was deleted by an Admin. Therefore all of the impacted Job Info records will need to be manually corrected. Either by the UI or Import. You can use the following KBA as a guideline - see KBA for steps on this process 2317955 How to Correct or Remove Job Information Via Import in Full Purge Mode - EC
- If the value is found but Inactive - Make it Active again. If it needs to be made Inactive, you need to insert a new record for that object and make it Inactive as of the day AFTER the end-date of the last Job Info Record that uses the value in the system. This is again detailed how to properly manage effective dated objects in KBA 2080801
Additionally, HR Admins can proactively correct employee's Job Info records with invalid FO/GO using Admin Alerts. You can refer to the following KBA for more details on Admin Alerts 2.0: 2088010 - Admin Alerts 2.0 - SuccessFactors
SPECIAL NOTE: If the field in the error message is not in use any more, a quick fix would be to simply disable the field via Manage Business Configuration > jobInfo > find the field and make it Disabled > click Save
2080801 How to update Foundation Objects, and the respective Employee Data - Employee Central
2176710 - How to generate an Adhoc Report for Foundation Object in SuccessFactors System) & correct these to make sure they have correct external codes and are Active.
2317955 How to Correct or Remove Job Information Via Import in Full Purge Mode - EC
2088010 - Admin Alerts 2.0 - SuccessFactors
b2011, 2H 2020, external code, ECT_service_layer_HRIS_ERROR_INVALID_EXTERNAL_CODE_FOR_JOB_VALIDATION , KBA , LOD-SF-EC-JOB , Job Information , LOD-SF-EC , Employee Central , Problem