When I double click on a RPT file in Explorer the report open in a new instance of the Report Designer.
I want the report to open in a new Tab of an existing instance of the Report Designer.
- SAP Crystal Reports 2016 (crw32.exe)
- SAP Crystal Reports 2020 (crw64.exe)
Reproducing the Issue
- Open File Explorer and browse to your reports
- Double click on any RPT file
- It opens a new instance or crw32.exe/crw64.exe
- In File Explorer right click on any RPT file
- Select Properties, General Tab, Opens with... Change button.
You may see Crystal Reports Launcher and Crystal Reports.
- Select Crystal Reports Launcher
- If you don't see both then browse to:
C:\Program Files (x86)\SAP BusinessObjects\SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0\win64_x64
C:\Program Files (x86)\SAP BusinessObjects\SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0\win32_x86
- Select crw32.exe or crw64.exe
- Click OK.
Now right click on the rpt file and select Open With... and Select Launcher and it should open in your existing instance of the Report Designer.
Now repeat steps 1 to 6 and select Crystal Reports Launcher. (C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\SAP Business Intelligence\SAP Crystal Reports 2020)
For CR 2016 it would look like this: "C:\Program Files (x86)\SAP BusinessObjects\/Crystal Reports Common\CRStartuup.exe" "%1"
Now when you double click on any RPT file it should open the report in a New Tab of your existing Report Designer.
Note: if it does not close Crystal Report Designer and test again. It can also update depending on the work flow and version of the OS.
Crystal Reports, Launcher, Tab , KBA , BI-RA-CR , Crystal Reports designer or Business View Manager , How To