When you try create the batch within Create Batch app or other apps, you will find that the maximum number you can use is up to 10 characters.
SAP S/4HANA Cloud
Reproducing the Issue
- Create batch in Create Batch app.
- Automatic create batch during goods receipt process in production process or material management.
The batch number field (MCHA-CHARG/MCH1-CHARG) in database table is restricted to 10 digits. Within the SAP standard it's not possible to enhance the batch number field. This is a technical restriction of SAP system.
Change the field length (Domain CHARG) is a very complex process, which means that all the screens need to be regenerated after a screen length change. Also all usage of the field needs to be verified about negative influence and all the external usage interfaces need to be evaluated.
Therefore, there is no plan to change it as the field batch is used in so many includes, functions and tables.
Add a characteristic 'external number' to batch class and use this characteristic to represent the long batch number.
- Create a characteristic in Manage Characteristics app as 'external number' or any name you feel could represent the batch number.
- Add this characteristic to a new or existing batch class in Create Class/Manage Classes app.
- If this is a new batch class, you need also add it to the material master.
- Set the value in classification of batch master.
Vendor batch, increase, more than, create batch, batch number, not enough, MSC1N, batch field, batch master, Create Batch app, S/4HANA Cloud , KBA , LO-BM-MD , Batch Master Data , How To