You find that the log archiving process has either stopped or is hung.
LOGARCHMETH1 is set to VENDOR or DISK
Signs of the db2vend process needing a restart when no errors are present include:
- No log archival is seen within the db2diag.log
- After a certain point, you no longer see messages stating "Started archive of log file" or calls made from the sqlpgArchiveLogFile function
- Logs are not showing as archived within the vendor processes
- The number of logs in the log directory grows larger than the maximum configured
- The typical number of logs in the log_dir should be the maximum LOGPRIMARY + LOGSECOND with the possibility of a few additional if log archiving is slow. This becomes an issue when the number of logs in the log_dir is significantly higher than the max configured and the oldest logs are not being archived/removed.
- Log directory full error messages may be present as shown in KBA 2589011
Errors may be present in the log archiving functions as well.
EDUID : 31 EDUNAME: db2lfr.0 (SID) 0
FUNCTION: DB2 UDB, recovery manager, sqlplfrDeleteFromFileTbl, probe:120
DATA #1 : <preformatted>
oftExtNum 94501 >= HeadExtentID 94500
Log archive failure sqlplfrDeleteFromFileTbl sqlpgArchiveLogFile db2logmgr db2lfr , KBA , BC-DB-DB6-DBA , Database Administration , Problem
About this pageThis is a preview of a SAP Knowledge Base Article. Click more to access the full version on SAP for Me (Login required).
Search for additional results
Visit SAP Support Portal's SAP Notes and KBA Search.