This is a collection of useful Knowledge Base Articles and information related to Human Resource Information System (HRIS) Synchronization.
Image/data in this KBA is from SAP internal systems, sample data, or demo systems. Any resemblance to real data is purely coincidental.
SAP SuccessFactors Employee Central
Reproducing the Issue
Human Resource Information System Synchronization, or HRIS Sync, is the synchronization from the information available on Employee Central to Employee Profile, as explained in the Implementation Guide: Human Resource Information System (HRIS) Synchronization.
- Implementation and Best Practices
- Common Issues
IMPLEMENTATION AND BEST PRACTICES
The HRIS Synchronization depends on the running of the HRIS Sync job, configured in Provisioning. This job needs to be configured to run with recurrence "Daily", at least once a day, and it is not recommended to configure this job hourly, since the job may end up triggering with other important Provisioning jobs and it will not have enough time to finish successfully.
- 2080728 - Employee Central: What is HRIS Sync?
- HRIS Sync Job | SAP Help Portal
- 2512570 - Creating an HRIS Sync Job in SAP SuccessFactors
The order on which elements are synchronized is explained below:
The synchronization from EC to EP will happen based on the existing HRIS Sync Mappings, where there is a configuration to send the value for a specific Employee Central field to an Employee Profile field. All Employee Central fields are available in the specific section for Employee Central in Manage Business Configuration, and there is also a specific section for Employee Profile fields.
Some HRIS Sync Mappings are hard-coded and will happen even if not manually configured. All the mappings are available in the KBA:
On this KBA you can also find the HRIS Sync Mappings that should not be configured.
Some mappings for HRIS Elements cannot be changed, and others can be overridden. Please check the details for each element in the KBAs:
- 2505319 - Phone Info
- 2507071 - Email Info
- 2506989 - Corporate Address
- 2507221 - Home Address
- 2512762 - Compensation Information
- 2512669 - Personal Information
- 2512703 - Biographical Information
- 2510530 - Job Information
- 2079986 - Job Relationships
In addition to the standard HRIS Sync Mappings, you can configure custom mappings between standard and custom Employee Central and Profile fields. This custom configuration can be done on Manage Business Configuration -> HRIS Sync Mappings, or directly in the details of the Employee Central field.
The following KBAs explain the details for status sync and for the custom mapping for username:
- 2505526 - HRIS Sync - How does HRIS Sync translate Employment Status in EC to STATUS in EP
- 2328243 - HRIS Sync: Configuring a sync-mapping from an EC Field To Username Employee Profile (EP)
When Employee Central is enabled and there are hard-coded or custom HRIS Sync Mappings configured for the Employee Profile fields, these fields should not be updated manually in Employee Profile. This is already blocked via UI, but via Basic Import this is still possible, although it should not be done.
- 2791383 - HRIS Sync Mappings - Employee Profile destination fields should not be editable via UI for EC users
If an EP field with a mapping configured is updated via Basic Import, it will be resynchronized to the EC field value whenever there is a change to the user that triggers the daily HRIS Sync, or if a Full HRIS Sync runs. It is also possible to run a Full HRIS Sync for a single user or for a set of users:
How to check if a user is an EC user:
When the synchronization from Employee Central to Employee Profile is not occurring as expected, it is required to check if the HRIS Sync job is configured correctly and running as expected in Provisioning, and if the HRIS Sync Mappings are configured as per the recommendation.
- Check if the HRIS Sync job is running with recurrence and if it has ran as expected in the current and previous dates
- If the job is correct, login to the instance or download the Succession Data Model to check the HRIS Sync Mappings
- In the instance, go to "Manage Business Configuration" -> Employee Central -> HRIS Sync Mappings
- In the Data Model, check the section "<hris-sync-mappings>"
- Check all the mappings configured and see if there are any hard-coded mappings duplicated or configured incorrectly, as per the KBAs in the Implementation and Best Practices section of this article
- Adjust the configuration to include only supported HRIS Sync Mappings
- After correcting the mappings, it is recommended to run a Full HRIS Sync to synchronize all the data that may have been missed
- With the correct configuration of the HRIS Sync job and of the HRIS Sync Mappings, the synchronization issues should not occur. If you still observe incorrect data after the sync, please check if the data on Employee Central is accurate. The best way of correcting data issues for EC information is via Full Purge Import: 2201658 - Employee Central User Data Full Purge Import.
For more information on HRIS Sync troubleshooting, please check:
Some issues may occur due to the incorrect configuration of HRIS Sync Mappings. When a mapping is not correctly configured, it may affect the HRIS Element where it is configured, but it may also have impact on other elements. The behavior of the synchronization when there are issues in the configuration is not consistent, therefore the only way of avoid such inconsistencies is to keep the configuration as per the recommendation.
- 2336779 - Invalid HRIS Sync Mapping Configuration "HRIS Sync Job Failure"
- 3033802 - Employee Profile fields display incorrect data in People Profile after New Hire/Rehire
- 2174070 - Invalid Manager – Users cannot log in - Employee Central
Whenever there is a change to a MDF object linked to an Employee Central field, these changes are not automatically configured to Employee Profile, which can cause incorrect labels in the profile header and in the integration with other systems. More information are available in the KBA:
- 2964383 - MDF Field label name Change Doesn't Sync to Employee Profile Header after HRIS Sync (real time or Incremental Sync job)
Other relevant information on issues:
HRIS Sync, Full HRIS Sync, Human Resource Information System Synchronization, Employee Central, Employee Profile, synchronization, HRIS Sync Mappings, hard-coded mappings, FAQ, troubleshooting , KBA , LOD-SF-EC-HRS , HRIS Sync , Problem