User whose name has rare Chinese characters cannot complete SCORM courses.
SAP SuccessFactors Learning
Reproducing the Issue
- User's First Name or Last Name field contains rarely-used Chinese characters like '懋'.
- The user tries to complete a SCORM course
- Although from debug logs we can see the content is sending 'Completed' status, the item didn't get marked as Completed and remained on user's Learning Plan
- Changing the user's name to any commonly-used characters > issue cannot be reproduced
This is due to XML invalid character cleanup validation.
The rarely-used characters in user's name will generate invalid black diamond characters by XML validation mechanism.
As the result, the Completion Status cannot be recorded by LMS server correctly due to these invalid characters.
Customer needs to add below configuration in System Administration > Configuration > System Configuration > LMS_ADMIN file.
To minimize the impact on XML validation feature, Customer should try to apply below options in sequence.
(Try Option1 first and if it doesn't work then try Option2, and then Option3.)
- Option1 :add 'invalidXMLContentCleanup=2' and save
The system will switch to an enhanced XML invalid character cleanup mechanism which should be able to handle the rare Chinese characters
- Option2: change the configuration to 'invalidXMLContentCleanup=0' and save
The system turns off XML invalid character cleanup. In this case, the rare Chinese should not cause any issues, but the customer loses the ability to clean up the potential threat inside content XML
- Option3: remove 'invalidXMLContentCleanup=0' and add 'specialCharacterInXMLCleanup=true'
The system will clean up the invalid black diamond character to ensure the Completion Status can be passed to LMS database.
cannot complete course, item completion issue, uncommon character, rarely used character , KBA , LOD-SF-LMS-CNT , Content , Problem